The Anarchy of Thought

Charity begins at home. Perhaps. But then so does the long revolution against the Establishment.

Friday, August 19, 2005

Pascalian Meditations
The first time I read Blaise Pascal was when a Brother in my school gave me a copy of Pascal's Pensees. Though I cannot participate in the warmth of Pascal's religious passion, some of his beliefs rather neatly summarise the set of disconnected views that I express (in my ironic oblique fashion) every now and then in this blog. Here are some :
(1) "Most of the evils of life arise from man's being unable to sit still in a room".
(2) "I have made this letter longer than usual, because I lack the time to make it short".
(3) "Man finds nothing so intolerable as to be in a state of complete rest, without passions, without occupation, without diversion, without effort. Then he feels his nullity, loneliness, inadequacy, dependence, helplessness, emptiness".
(4) "Man is only a reed, the weakest in nature; but he is a thinking reed. There is no need for the whole universe to take up arms to crush him: a vapor, a drop of water is enough to kill him. But even if the universe were to crush him, man would still be nobler than his slayer, because he knows that he is dying and the advantage the universe has over him. The universe knows nothing of this".

4 Comments:

  • At 20.8.05, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    blog blog blog

     
  • At 20.8.05, Blogger The Transparent Ironist said…

    Glug glug glug.

     
  • At 21.8.05, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    but how would man know whether the universe knows?

     
  • At 21.8.05, Blogger The Transparent Ironist said…

    By asking a woman. Of course. But no, I should be serious : how would a woman know about what a man does not know about what the universe knows? So really I don't know either.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free FAQ Database from Bravenet Free FAQ Database from Bravenet.com
The WeatherPixie