The Anarchy of Thought

Charity begins at home. Perhaps. But then so does the long revolution against the Establishment.

Saturday, July 16, 2005

On Indian English Posted by Picasa
Consider this state of affairs. A man works under a landlord for a period of ten years, during which time he learns to speak his master's language and picks up several of his (rather tiresome) mannerisms. Thereafter the master dies but his slave passes on these to his children so that it so happens that several generations down the line his great-grandchildren now speak the language of the landlord of their dead ancestor.
This, in fact, is the condition of Indians today who speak English : they speak a language that was passed on to their (immediate) ancestors by their colonial masters, the British. The question, however, that is really intriguing can be put in a rather abrupt manner : 'So what?'
Indeed, I often put this question to myself since English happens to be the only language that I am fluent in. But, to repeat my earlier question, so what? So what if English was the language that was once transmitted down the echelons of power by the imperial rulers in Delhi and Calcutta to produce rows of government clerks with Indian blood but British habits? Has this historical origin stained the English language so deeply that any Indian who now uses it (not to mention revels in it) is consequently stigmatised by the accusation of complicity with neo-colonialism?
Suppose we say 'Yes' and try to choose an appropriate Indian language instead. The problem with this search for an originary language that is not corrupted by some allegation of violence is that there was trouble even in paradise. For suppose that we replace English with Sanskrit : there will be a huge section of the Indian population which will protest that it is precisely users of Sanskrit who have been oppressing them since time immemorial. (And Sanskrit is not a very gender-sensitive language either, purusa and prakrti and all that.) Let us then plump for Hindi instead : even this will not quite do for vast swathes in the Southern belt of India will remind us how the northerners have tried to impose this language upon them in a 'colonial' fashion. The same problem, of course, will immediately dog us if we choose any other regional language : there will be no dearth of groups who will vehemently object to the violence that its users have historically inflicted on them who do not speak it.
In short, then, to claim that English is forever tainted by its colonial associations is indeed a very interesting (and substantially correct) statement but it goes nowhere towards answering the question that I have put above : So what? Does all of this, however, mean that we can go on using English simply by ignoring these associations? In matters such as these, it is good to remember that we human beings can develop the capacity for self-reflexivity, that is, to bend over backwards to some extent and cast a critical sideways glance at ourselves. A good example in this connection is Nehru, whatever his faults otherwise as a political strategist or an economic planner were. A consummate master of the English language, the language of his imperialist antagonists, and yet nobody, I take it, would accuse Nehru of not being 'nationalist' enough!

2 Comments:

  • At 17.7.05, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is a collection of leave letters and applications written by people in various places of India...

    1. Infosys, Bangalore: An employee applied for leave as follows:Since I have to go to my village to sell my land along with my wife. Please
    sanction me one-week leave.

    2. Another employee applied for half day leave as follows: "Since I've to go to the cremation ground at 10 o-clock and I may not return, please grant me half day casual leave"

    3. A leave letter to the headmaster: "As I am studying in this school I am suffering from headache. I request you to leave me today"

    4. An incident of a leave letter "I am suffering from fever, please declare one day holiday."

    5. Another leave letter written to the headmaster: As my headache is
    paining, please grant me leave for the day.

    6. Covering note: "I am enclosed herewith..."

    7. Another one: "Dear Sir: with reference to the above, please refer to my below..."

    8. From H.A.L. Administration dept: As my mother-in-law has expired and I am responsible for it, please grant me 10 days leave.

    9. Actual letter written for application of leave: "My wife is suffering from sickness and as I am her only husband at home I may be granted leave".

    10. Letter writing: - "I am in well here and hope you are also in the same well."

    11. Another gem from CDAC. Leave-letter from an employee who was
    performing his daughter's wedding: "as I am marrying my daughter, please grant a week's leave.."

    12. This is from Oracle Bangalore: From an employee who was performing
    the "mundan" ceremony of his 10 year old son: "as I want to shave my son's head, please leave me for two days.."

    13: A candidate's application : "This has reference to your advertisement calling for a 'typist and an accountant - Male or Female'... As I am both ! for the past several years and I can handle both, I am applying for the post.

    :-):-)

     
  • At 24.7.05, Blogger Iyer the Great said…

    The question is not - Are you communicating?.... but are you communicating with the right people? By choosing to communicate in a particular language, you are also defining your target audience - and this is important. I have seen writing, say for example on religious tolerance, in english that would have been much more effective when written in a religional language - to make a difference.

    Also, people ingnore another aspect of language - its vocabulary and connotations associated with these words.

    English is certainly one of the best ways to communicate now, but it shoulld not exclude trying to communicate in the 'local' language.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free FAQ Database from Bravenet Free FAQ Database from Bravenet.com
The WeatherPixie